Brian Peacock

Signal Data Hub Re-design

March 2015
Signal Data Hub Re-design

While working for Signal I was asked to lead the redesign of their flagship product, Signal Data Hub, which had become unwieldy to use after several years of adding features as user requirements changed. This project was further complicated by a number of internal stakeholders including sales, marketing and client services who all had legitimate interests in the user interface. Finally, the new design needed to be feasible for development in 2-3 months. The design process proceeded as follows:

  1. Mapped out the existing information architecture (IA) of the application and a hypothesized improved architecture.
  2. Interviewed users and stakeholders to understand their perspective on how features are used and organized. Iterated the IA based on feedback.
  3. Met with developers to understand the difficulty of changing features of the IA. Modified the IA to meet development restrictions, while still addressing usability concerns.
  4. Developed interactive wireframe mocks of new application. These mocks were devoid of visual design features to prevent distraction from core usability questions.
  5. Tested interactive mocks with users and stakeholders and incorporated feedback into subsequent iterations.
  6. Developed visual design standards for the new application in concert with other designers from throughout the organization. By sampling design elements from existing materials and developing other elements mutually, we made strides towards improving brand consistency.
  7. Transferred interactive mocks and visual design standards to developers. Answered questions as they came up and performed final quality assurance.

Once implemented, the new design for Data Hub was released to several customers in Beta form first and then launched to all customers after only two weeks of minimal tweaking. Using a thorough design process we were able to provide users with much needed improvements without significantly disturbing their usage patterns and save significant development costs by minimizing rework.


Preliminary Design for The Lafayette College Book Store

April 2012
Preliminary Design for The Lafayette College Book Store

I studied Civil Engineering at a small school called Lafayette College where everyone in my major was required to take a two-semester course called Capstone Design. Our project for the course was to work together as a class (60 people total) to design a new bookstore for the college. This was a project that was actually being considered by the school so we had the chance to put our skills to use on a real project with a real site and real constraints.

We broke up into teams to address different aspects of the design including Structural, Site Design (water, sewer, electric), Geo-technical, Environmental and Architectural. I joined up with the Architectural Team of four and we started to brainstorm. The building was to serve several functions beyond that of a simple college bookstore. The site was located on the edge of campus and the college master plan called for the building to be “the gateway to the college”. To orient you in the rendering, the building is on a corner with a street on the right leading to the college. In addition, the building was to house the campus post office, the print shop, a café, study rooms and a flexible space that could be used for events and art shows.

read more

Beer Label

November 2011
Beer Label

In the Fall of 2011, I was experimenting with home-brewing. I designed this label to put on the beer. However, I failed to account for the cost of die-cutting an oval shape for a short run and, as a result, never printed the labels. It was a hard lesson in the importance of understanding constraints.


Yacht Design

January 2003

Sailboat Profile

Sailboat Interior

From the age of 10 through 16 I spent a large portion of my time designing sailing yachts. I’ve been racing dingies (Optimist Pram & Laser) since I was 8 and since then, I’ve dreamed of living on a boat. With my penchant for design, sailboat design became my muse. I began with basic sketches and then later learned drafting. I even went so far as to do hydrostatic stability analysis, calculating centers of mass and centers of buoyancy. This 42’ yacht was the pinnacle of my designs.